Mashpee Police Capture Suspect In Monomoscoy Island Burglary Spree

Share     |   Comments   |   Print

By: Enterprise Staff
Published: 08/24/12

Mashpee police yesterday morning captured a suspect in a string of home and car burglaries that occurred overnight on Monomoscoy Island.

According to Mashpee Police Chief Rodney C. Collins, shortly after 4 AM, police responded to a report of a breaking and entering into a residence on the island, after the homeowner was awakened by an intruder in the house. Upon arrival, the suspect had already fled on foot, and the police requested the assistance of the Barnstable County Sheriff Department’s canine unit, lead by Lieutenant Barney Murphy. Officers combed the area for the next two hours.

Mashpee Selectman Carol A. Sherman, who lives on the island, was headed to work at 5:45 AM, when she came upon a gathering of police vehicles near her home. “When they told me what happened, I turned around to check my yard and boat,” she said.

At approximately 6:30, after being flagged down by an island resident who noticed a man dressed in dark clothes running through a backyard, Mashpee police Officer David J. Mackiewicz and Lt. Murphy arrested William J. Kophammer, 23, whose last known address was in Mashpee.

Mr. Kophammer has an extensive criminal history that includes five outstanding warrants from Falmouth and Barnstable district courts, including charges for felony larceny, breaking and entering, larceny from a person over 60 or disabled, and receiving stolen property. Earlier this year a Barnstable District Court judge dismissed a charge against him of possession of a Class A substance, Percocet.

After yesterday’s robbery spree, Mr. Kophammer has been charged with an additional 15 crimes, including seven charges of breaking and entering into a motor vehicle, larceny over $250, resisting arrest, breaking and entering in the nighttime, four counts of receiving stolen property, and furnishing a false name to police.

Chief Collins praised the police officers involved for their determination remaining on the scene for more than two hours after the incidents were first reported.

Chief Collins said that the investigation remains active and additional charges may be forthcoming.

Follow us on Facebook