Former Mashpee Tribe Chairman Glenn Marshall Transferred To Halfway House

Share     |   Comments   |   Print

By: Brian Kehrl
Published: 04/27/12

Glenn A. Marshall is out of jail.

The former chairman of the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribal Council, who is serving a prison term for federal fraud charges, has been moved to a halfway house in anticipation of the completion of his sentence on June 4.

According to information from the federal Bureau of Prisons, Mr. Marshall was transferred this week to the custody of CCM Philadelphia, the community corrections office that oversees northeast “residential re-entry centers,” offering services intended to help inmates transition to life outside of prison.

The bureau of prisons does not release information about where the halfway houses of inmates are located. The only federal halfway house in Massachusetts is located in Boston. There are also facilities in Connecticut and New Hampshire.

Under residential re-entry center rules, visits home are allowed. He may also transition to home confinement before his official release on June 4, according to the bureau.

Elizabeth Russo, bureau of prisons public information officer, said in an interview this week that all inmates are reviewed for placement at a halfway house before completing their sentence.

According to the bureau of prisons, visits home are allowed under residential re-entry center rules. He may also transition to home confinement before his official release on June 4.


“The idea is to help the offenders access the tools and skills they need to transition back into life after re-entry,” she said.

Ms. Russo declined to provide information specific to Mr. Marshall, but she noted that the bureau of prisons has an explanation of the halfway houses, also known as RRCs, on its website.

“Accordingly, RRC staff monitors an inmate’s location and movement 24 hours/day. The contractor authorizes an inmate to leave the RRC through sign-out procedures for approved activities, such as seeking employment, working, counseling, visiting, or recreation. Staff continues to monitor inmates by visiting the approved locations (home or work) and/or making random phone contacts at different times during the day. Staff also administers random drug and alcohol tests for those inmates returning to the RRC from an approved activity and conducts random and scheduled in-house counts throughout the day,” according to the website.

Inmates at the residential re-entry centers are expected to be employed and must pay a subsistence fee to help defray the cost of their confinement.

The move to Philadelphia marks the second change for Mr. Marshall in recent months. After the East Falmouth resident began his sentence in June 2009, Mr. Marshall was first sent to a low-security prison in central Pennsylvania. He then moved to a specialized medical treatment facility in North Carolina, where he was being treated for a medical condition.

Mr. Marshall’s wife, Paula, declined to disclose the medical condition in an interview in March.

She did not return a message left seeking comment this week.

Ms. Marshall said in March that Mr. Marshall told her he may be released early, perhaps in late March.

Ms. Russo said this week that Mr. Marshall’s expected release date remains June 4.

Mr. Marshall was sentenced to 41 months in prison on charges that, during his time as chairman of the tribal council, he used money for personal gain that was intended for the entire tribe, including wire fraud, tax fraud, and campaign finance law violations. He was also found guilty of Social Security fraud.

Federal court orders have required Mr. Marshall to pay back more than $300,000 of misused tribal funds. The tribal council also filed a suit in tribal court against Mr. Marshall and two close associates, seeking restitution of more than $1 million in money loaned by the tribe’s investors and used for personal gain by the former leaders.

Mr. Marshall’s federal sentence was drastically reduced from the maximum allowed under law due to cooperation with federal investigators.

After leading the tribe to federal recognition in 2007, Mr. Marshall was forced out as chairman later that year.

The 36-month expected term is five months less than his original sentence. Under bureau of prison guidelines, sentences are reduced for good behavior from the outset of the term. Good behavior for all inmates is assumed from the beginning, so time is added back toward the original sentence if it is not kept up.

Follow us on Facebook