Falmouth United & D-Y Celtic Battle To Tie

Share     |   Comments   |   Print

By: Brooke Henrique
Published: 07/15/11

 Sometimes nature makes the decisions. There is no better example than the thunder and lightning that ended a deadlocked battle between the two top teams in the Cape Cod Amateur Soccer League Wednesday evening.

Falmouth United worked to best D-Y Celtic at home, in an attempt take the top spot in the west division against the 2010 Davis Cup Champions, only to be interrupted in the second half by weather, making the score an official tie in the score book. United's stand-in coach said after the game, "We decided to call it far enough into the game for the score to stand, which affects them more than us." The 1-1 score keeps Celtic in first place in the division while United will remain in second.

Both teams came out aggressive in the duel, but Falmouth had strong offensive presence early, especially from forward Tyler Singer-Clark. Singer-Clark opened the match with a shot that just skirted the hands of Celtic's goalkeeper to be deflected to the right on the ground. The United attacker would eventually cash in, with a goal to the far left of the unsuspecting D-Y keeper in the 14th minute. Falmouth continued to put on the pressure and generated great defensive plays from Valmir Nasimiento and Matt Pearce to hold their lead for the rest of the half, but not without great Celtic effort to tie it up.

A one arm save from Celtic prevented a bullet shot from United's Matt Liles from going in after he danced around the defense. D-Y had a few chances from the corner turn into duds thanks to United defenders. Celtic players' lack of communication and coverage turned their frustration on each other, instead of their opponent.

Falmouth forward, Jay Jarilson, had another strong game alongside Fabiano Madruna up the field to continue United's dominance toward the second twenty minutes in D-Y's zone. Celtic would barely hold thanks to a fingertip save of Jarilson's brother, Fabio Jarilson's, rebound shot from his side in front. Madruna came close as well, catching the keeper out of the box past Celtic defense, and nicking the crossbar to miss high.

Celtic would see four quick opportunities before the end of the first forty-five minute mark, and eventually saw the tying tally in the 54th from the right lane to the opposite side of United goalkeeper, Paul Paiva, on the ground.

United will not get another chance to contest Celtic until the playoffs in August. Now 6-1-2, Falmouth moves on to face Sandwich on Sunday.

Follow us on Facebook